Jay Van Andel was the co-founder of Amway/Alticor along with Richard DeVos. Van Andel died on December 4, 2004 and was the 242nd richest person in the world at the time of his death with a personal fortune of $2.4 billion (source). During his life Van Andel used his fortune to support a conservative politicians and organizations, many through the Jay and Betty Van Andel Foundation. The Van Andel family has also lobbied for the repeal of the estate tax.
Board / Leadership Positions
- Heritage Foundation, Trustee (1985-2004)
- Right Place, Founding Chairman
- United States Chamber of Commerce, Chairman
- Van Andel Institute for Education and Medical Research, Founder
- 12/09/04: Jay Van Andel Dies at Age 80: A Critical Look at the Philanthropy of Van Andel and Devos
- 12/08/04: Jay Van Andel Dies at Age 80: A Critical Look at Amway/Alticor
- 02/01/98: Good people, greed, and the corporate cult(ure): An insider’s view of Amway
- 01/01/95: Who are Jay and Betty Van Andel?
- 01/01/95: VanAndel Museum Center: By the Rich, for the Rich