Prince is a graduate of Grand Rapids’ Calvin College (she studied sociology and education) where she is now a trustee (Scahill, Blackwater, 2007, p. 4). Prince’s maiden name was Zwiep and her parents owned Zweip’s Seed Store in Holland. Following the death of her first husband, Edgar, she married Ren Broekhuizen, who was the Princes’ pastor for two decades (Scahill, p. 11).
In 2004 she was the top individual contributor to Citizens for the Protection of Marriage, contributing $75,000 to the campaign to ban same-sex marriage in Michigan.(source).
Board / Leadership Positions
- Calvin College, Trustee
- Council for National Policy, Board of Governors, 1998
- Family Research Council, board member
- Focus on the Family, board member
- Focus on the Family Action, board member, 2004 (source)
- Council for National Policy, Director 2003-2005
- “If you have a college formed on Christian principles, then you don’t have the same academic freedom you would have at a secular university.” (source)
- “My main thrust is to do things that Jesus would want you to do to further your knowledge of him and his ways.” Holland Sentinel, October 19, 2002.
- 10/14/07: Erik Prince and his Family Significant Backers of Republican Politicians from Michigan
- 02/27/07: Holland’s Edgar and Elsa Prince Foundation Major Local and National Supporter of the Religious Right