The Alliance works to conserve and restore the world’s largest freshwater resource through policy, education and local efforts aimed at preserving the Great Lakes region as a national treasure. It also works with the region’s residents, enhancing their understanding of how they can help, too. To that end, we draw on many resources, working with teachers, scientists, economists, legal specialists, government representatives, communities and individuals. And, year-by-year, individual-by-individual, we’re getting back a healthy Great Lakes environment, thanks to supporters like you.
Our programs focus on
* Water Quality: eliminating toxic and bacterial pollution, which cause beach closings
* Water Conservation: promoting sustainable water use to keep the Great Lakes great
* Habitat Recovery: restoring and enhancing habitat, especially in urban areas, and eliminating invasive species
* Land Use: protecting lands that drain into the Great Lakes and their natural features
* Clean Energy: protecting the Great Lakes from harmful effects of energy use
* Education & Outreach: providing education and volunteer opportunities for adults and children to build an appreciation for the Great Lakes