In case you missed them, here’s what we think were the best articles on MediaMouse.org in March. As always, there is plenty here to get you outraged, frustrated, or upset about the state of the world.
However, while the news presented on this site is frequently “bad,” we encourage you to see it as an invitation to action–we cannot simply sit back while these things go on. Get involved with a group working to change the local community or the world or start your own project. With so much “bad” in the world, there are plenty of opportunities for each of us to use our own unique skills and talents to make something better.
- CEOs Offer So-Called “Alternative” to Employee Free Choice Act; Key Senator Withdraws Support
- RI workers arrested while protesting closed plant’s assets auction
- No joke: After taking $170b from bailout, AIG doles out $165m in bonuses. Seriously.
- NAACP Sues Charging Systemic, Institutionalized Racism in Lending Practices Leading to the Mortgage Crisis
- Pro-Union Workers Fired in 26% of Union Election Campaigns
- Don’t be fooled–EFCA benefits workers
- Grand Rapids Press Cuts Wages, Benefits; Major Changes at Booth Newspapers
- The Grand Rapids Press and “The Bachelor”: This is News?
- More Mineral Exploration in the Upper Peninsula
- False Solutions to Climate Change: From “Cap and Trade” to Plastic Coating the Desert
- Levin Joining with Republicans to Stop “Cap-and-Trade” Legislation from being Added to Budget Debate
Police, Prisons, and Brutality
- Police Kill Michigan Teen with Taser
- GVSU Shooting Representative of Failed Drug War
- Unarmed GVSU Student Shot During Drug Investigation
- 1 in 27 Michigan Residents in the Corrections System
- A History of Anarchist Organizing in Grand Rapids
- Socialism: Worth Another Look in Light of Economic Crisis?
- “Hire Michigan First” Passes House, but at What Cost?
- Blogger and Author Speaks on the Importance of Feminism
- More Troops Going to Afghanistan; No Timeline for Withdrawal
- Contrasting Perspectives on Afghanistan: Obama vs. Afghan Activist
- Anti-War Groups Weigh in on Afghanistan Escalation
- Anti-War Veterans Groups Call for Continued Anti-War Organizing
- Obama Administration Awards Blackwater New Contracts
- Protest Demands Obama Really “End the War” by Removing All Troops from Iraq
- Iraq War has Cost Grand Rapids $343.5 Million