Yesterday, we wrote about a millage to expand The Rapid to add a bus rapid transit (BRT) route and today we’re excited to share that the City of Grand Rapids is sponsoring a the “first annual” Grand Rapids Bike Summit next month.
The summit is free and will take place on April 24 at the Loosemore Auditorium on Grand Valley State University’s (GVSU) Grand Rapids campus.
- 8-8:45 RegistrationWelcomeIntroductions–Rosalyn Bliss
8:45 – 10:00 Keynote: Bill Nesper, League of Bicyclist: Becoming a Bicycle Friendly Community
- 10:00-10:15 Break
- 10:15-11:30 Speaker 2: Ann Freiwald,ASLA, Alta Planning and Design, Designing a Bicycle Friendly Community
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch–Grouped by Breakout Groups
- 12:30–1:45 Speaker 3: Susanne Schulz, City of Grand Rapids Green Grand Rapids
- 1:45-2:45 pm Breakout sessions
- On Road Facilities–status of on-road facilities; develop recommendations.
- Off Road facilities–status of off-road facilities; develop recommendations.
- PolicyLawEnforcement–status of current policies and regulations in Grand Rapids Metro area; develop goals recommendations
- Advocacy and Education–status of current programs to promote and encourage biking; recommendations for current and future programs
- 3:00-4:00pm Reports and Conclusions; Panel Discussion
Hopefully, the summit will lead to actual commitments by the City to do things like creating bike lanes.