We’re not so big on end-of-the-year wrap-ups, hence the reason why our 2008 “top stories” list is just now being posted. However, we did one last year and already did a round-up of our favorite books of 2008, so it seems only appropriate to get this post done.
Compiling the list also offers some time for reflection on what MediaMouse.org has done over the past year. Like many progressive, left, or liberal news sources, we probably focused a bit too much on the 2008 elections. However, unlike many of those outlets, we focused most of our “Election Watch” coverage on dealing with systemic issues such as ballot access, voting problems, and substantive differences between the candidates. Unlike so many of our peers, we didn’t fall lockstep behind the Democratic candidates and I’d argue we’re in a better place because of it. With the inevitable disappointments that followed Obama’s election–see his right-leaning cabinet choices for example–we’re in a better position to hold Obama accountable.
Our traffic–as it has every year MediaMouse.org’s existence–also increased.
Anyway, here’s the list of some of our favorite stories. As always, the list could be considerably longer, but this seems like a manageable length.
Also, if you like what you see here or saw throughout the year, please consider giving a donation–it would mean a lot to us.
- Obama Chief of Staff Emanuel Key in Passage of NAFTA
- Obama’s Transition Team Includes Mix of Washington Insiders, Fundraisers, and Longtime Advisors
- McCain Health Care Plan is Easy to Criticize; Obama’s is Hardly a Substantial “Change”
- Third Party Candidates Excluded by National and Local Media
- Obama’s “Small Donors” — About the Same Percentage as Bush in 2004
- Constitution Party: A Rightwing Presidential Campaign Headquartered in West Michigan
- Magazine Chooses the 25 Most Powerful People in Grand Rapids
- New Study on Press Coverage of Iraq and Iran
- Campaign against Hate Speech on the Radio in West Michigan and Beyond
- Grand Rapids Press Continues to Reflect Government’s Position on US Occupation of Iraq
- Michigan Klan Member Involved in Ron Paul Campaign
- Racist Speech at MSU was Cancelled due to Pressure from National Conservative Group
- MSU YAF Member Played Key Role in Organizing Neo-Nazi Visit
- Ku Klux Klan Member Elected as Republican Precinct Delegate in Midland
- KKK Member Elected as Republican Precinct Delegate Removed
- Student Group Hosting Anti-Islam Speaker
- Anti-Islamic DVD Distributed by the Clarion Fund
- Islamophobia Widespread in Mainstream Media
- Four Indictments Issued in ELF Arson at Michigan State University
- Craig James Lectures on Global Warming
- Acton Institute Hosting a Lecture that will likely Minimize the Reality of Human Caused Global Warming
- Law Firm Provides West Michigan Link to Sulfide Mining
- Sierra Club Censored at Holland Public Works Event
- Monsanto Official Speaking at GVSU
- Where Your Tax Dollars Go: 42% to the Military
- Income Inequality has increased in Michigan and most States over the Past Two Decades
- West Michigan Regional Policy Summit – Day One
- Day Two of the West Michigan Regional Policy Summit
- Iraq: Five Years, And Counting
- Hoekstra: Fighting “Radical Jihad”
- Veteran Cited in News Stories has a History of Outlandish Anti-Protestor Statements
- Democrats to Pass Iraq War Funding Bill with No Restrictions
- Will a Democratic President Really End the War?
- Michigan Senator Carl Levin and the Israeli Lobby
- Blackwater CEO Avoids Having to Deal With the Press