The following articles of interest were published elsewhere on the web today:
- No Shame at NBC
NBC continues to rely on a controversial military analyst without disclosing his ties to the Pentagon.
Categories: nbc media pentagon government
- 20 Theses Against Green Capitalism
A collection of 20 short critiques of the current “green capitalism” phenomenon. It’s an interesting perspective.
Categories: capitalism development environment
- The Far Right’s Newest Boogeyman: Environmentalism
Some on the far right have taken on a new target: environmentalism. At a recent gathering, prominent rightists railed against environmental sustainability efforts.
Categories: environment rightwing
- Report Reveals Major Problems With Iraq Reconstruction
Yet another report shows that there were major problems with the Iraq reconstruction effort.
- New GOP Memo entitled Action Alert about the Auto Bail Out makes clear that it’s all about “Union Busting”
A leaked memo shows that Republicans saw opposing the auto bailout as a key means of weakening unions.
Categories: unions labor republicans
- Massey Energy CEO Blankenship’s anti-environment screed caught on tape
A CEO for one of the biggest coal power companies was caught on tape ranting against environmentalists.
Categories: environment coal energy corporations
- Senate Report Finds Rumsfeld Directly Responsible for US Torture of Prisoners
Too bad he’ll probably never get held accountable for this…
Categories: iraq torture government rumsfeld
- Uprising in Greece: Protests, Riots, Strikes Enter 6th Day Following Fatal Police Shooting of Teen
An update on the ongoing riots and anti-government protests in Greece.
Categories: greece europe protests
- Obama’s ‘Center-Right’ Presidency: The Die is Cast
Black Agenda Report’s Glenn Ford offers another scathing criticism of Obama’s “center-right” politics.
- Full-page New York Times Ad Calls Humane Society “Terrorists”
Is this for real?
Categories: media corporations advertising
- “Things Happen Much Faster in the Arctic”
“In just a few summers from now, the Arctic Ocean will lose its protective cover of ice for the first time in a million years, according to some experts attending the International Arctic Change conference here.”
- Google Wants Its Own Fast Track on the Web
Google is reportedly seeking preferential treatment from Internet providers for its traffic. If the company signed such an agreement, it would violate the basic principles of “network neutrality.”
Categories: internet media
- Obama, Democrats Agree to $500 Billion Stimulus Package
This article provides an early look at Obama’s economic stimulus package.
Categories: obama democrats economy congress
- As Possible Afghan War-Crimes Evidence Removed, US Silent
The US has ignored the removal of evidence relating to possible war crimes committed by US allies in Afghanistan.
Categories: afghanistan warcrimes waronterror
- US Arms Deployed in Wars Around the Globe
While the US often complains about weapons proliferation around the globe, it is often weapons that come from the US that fuel wars and conflicts.
Categories: weapons war
- Bush Publishes Changes to Mountaintop Removal Rule
On Friday the Bush administration published “its final rule to revoke key water quality protections, a move that critics say helps to protect mountaintop removal coal mining from tougher restrictions.”
Categories: mining environment pollution
- Auto Bailout’s Death Seen as a Republican Blow at Unions
A look at how some Republicans saw defeating the auto bailout as a critical step in weakening the power of unions in the US.
Categories: unions labor republicans
- The Nasty Class and Anti-Union Bias of Auto Bailout Opposition
A look at how class and anti-union bias fueled opposition to the auto bailout.
Categories: unions class labor congress
- Chicago Sitdown Strike Produces Win for Workers, Anger against Banks
An account of the recent occupation of a factory in Chicago to protest its closing. The workers emerged from the occupation victorious. It’s an interesting lesson for unions across the country.
Categories: labor unions organizing strike
- Post-Racial Racism at the Post
An interesting look at how the whole “post-racial” myth in the wake of Obama’s election often is mired in media racism.
Categories: racism media
- Poznan statement from the Climate Justice Now! alliance
A statement from the Climate Justice Now! alliance that argues for a radical new agenda to address global warming and climate justice. The statement is a mix of critique of the most recent climate change summit and a forward looking assessment of what needs to be done.
Categories: globalwarming organizing
- Black Journalists Hit Hard by Cuts at Newspapers
While there has been some reporting on job cuts at newspapers across the country, there has been little examination of how this is affecting diversity in the newsroom.
Categories: media race
- It’s Official: Total Defeat for U.S. in Iraq
Journalist Patrick Cockburn argues that the United States’ signing of the Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq shows that the US has been defeated in Iraq.
- Obama’s Energy Plans Fail to Address Our Water Woes
Obama’s energy plan–details of which have emerged in the past month–has failed to take into account water.
Categories: water energy obama
- Bondage, Cum Shots, Violence — Sexist Ad Trends That Refuse to Die
A look at the prevalence of sexism in advertising. Not only do these trends refuse to die, but they also support patriarchy.
Categories: advertising patriarchy sexism
- The Secret House of Congress
An interesting look at the lack of transparency in the US Congress.