The following articles of interest were published elsewhere on the web today:
- New regs may darken coal’s future in Michigan
Another article on how recent EPA decisions may impact the expansion of coal power in Michigan.
Categories: coal energy michigan
- The Causes of the Auto Crisis
A lengthy look at what led to the auto crisis. It finds that the crisis wasn’t solely the fault of the industry, but that the government also played a strong role.
Categories: economy corporations
- Enter Geithner and Summers: You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet
A critical look at Obama’s appointment of Geithner and Summers to his economic team.
- Fair Trade Victory
A number of “fair trade” legislators won victories this election, however, much remains to be done to stop the remaining NAFTA-style trade deals and alter the direction of US trade policy.
Categories: trade globalization elections2008 obama
- Bank Eat Bank: Bailout Encourages Mergers, and Paulson Decides who Lives and Who Dies
The Wall Street bailout seems to be paving the way for a new round of mergers.
Categories: banks economy
- GM’s Champion Stalls
Michigan Congressman John Dingell–long a staunch supporter of the auto industry–has lost his position as chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.
Categories: congress michigan
- Starbucks at Franklin and Nicollet becomes first City of Minneapolis location to go union
With the prominence of organizing against Starbucks in Grand Rapids, it seems worth noting that another Starbucks location has gone union.
Categories: starbucks unions organizing labor
- Noam Chomsky: “What Next? The Elections, the Economy, and the World”
Prominent author and leftist intellectual Noam Chomsky examines the 2008 elections.
Categories: chomsky elections2008
- The Second Coming of Newt Gingrich
In the wake of Obama’s victory, Republicans may be turning to controversial figure Newt Gingrich to help revive the party’s fortunes.
- Making the World’s Poor Pay: The Economic Crisis and the Global South
A look at how the economic crisis is impacting the world’s poor. It’s a perspective that has been ignored by much of the media and the left.
Categories: poverty economy
- Ideologues Call for Post-Election Militia Revival
Following the election of Barack Obama, several rightwing leaders associated with the militia movement are calling for a renewal of activity. It’s a revival that fits into the larger rightwing backlash against Obama.
Categories: rightwing obama
- Starving for Change
A look at the structural nature of hunger and how Obama’s economic advisors could impact whether or not there is change on this front.
Categories: obama government hunger poverty
- Bailouts Dwarf Spending on Climate and Poverty Crises
Washington is spending more to bailout Wall Street than it is to address climate change and poverty.
Categories: globalwarming economy poverty government
- Thousands Demonstrate Against US Security Pact; MPs Said to Receive Death Threats
Despite celebratory reporting in the US media when an agreement on the Status of Forces Agreement between Iraq and the US was announced last week, the agreement is meeting opposition in Iraq.
- Genetically engineered meal close to your table
An interesting article about a Canadian university’s effort to develop a genetically modified pig. What is the world coming to?
Categories: gmos animals fda