The following articles of interest were published elsewhere on the web today:
- Reporter charged after deadly police chase
A well-known reporter covering police abuse in Detroit is being charged after a deadly police chase.
Categories: media police repression detroit michigan
- VIDEO: Foreclosures in Michigan mind-numbing in number
Foreclosures continue to increase in Michigan and this video paints a painful picture of the situation.
Categories: foreclosure poverty michigan
- VIDEO: Michigan Poverty Summit draws more than 5,000
Over the weekend, 5,000 people gathered in southeast Michigan to talk about poverty.
Categories: poverty michigan
- Holding Obama Accountable, Part 2 of a Series — Single Payer Health Care and the Auto Industry
The 2nd part of an ongoing series looking at how we can hold Obama accountable and ensure that he delivers the promised “change.”
Categories: obama left progressives organizing
- Experts: SOFA Faces Legal Uncertainty
Despite a copious amount of coverage in the corporate media, legal questions surrounding the Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq have largely gone unexamined.
- No free pass for Rahm Emanuel
A critique of Obama’s Chief of Staff and those who are willing to give him a free pass for his past statements.
Categories: obama racism arabamericans
- Inside the Council for National Policy
A look at how the rightwing in this country–or at least a highly influential part of it–is responding to Obama’s election.
Categories: religiousright rightwing
- An increase in hate crimes during election season
Hate crimes against South Asians increased during the 2008 election season.
Categories: racism hatecrimes elections2008
- Win or lose on Election Day, Republicans and conservatives hold majority on Face the Nation and Fox News Sunday
Despite major victories on November 4 for the Democrats, Sunday political talk shows continue to be dominated by Republican and conservative guests.
Categories: media democrats republican elections2008
- Republic of Lakotah: State of Emergency on Pine Ridge Reservation
A state of emergency continues on the Pine Ridge Reservation due to massive storms.
- Consensus Builds for Universal Voter Registration
Shortly after any election, problems with registration, voting, and the entire process are often forgotten. However, despite the short memory of many, support is growing for efforts aimed at improving voter registration.
- Immigration Reform in 2009?
A discussion of the prospects for immigration reform under the Obama administration.
Categories: immigration obama government
- Security Agreement Requires all US Troops Out of Iraq by 2011; Blocs in Parliment Move to Defeat It
Blogger Juan Cole compiles recent news on the US-Iraq Security Pact and the reactions to it within Iraq.
- Real Hope: Facing Difficult Truths About an Uncertain Future
Author and activist Robert Jensen argues that there is a likelihood that we will see substantial economic and environmental collapse–even in the so-called “First World”–and asks how that should impact left and progressive organizing.
Categories: left organizing economy environment
- More on Holder’s Global Crossing Lobbying
A look at the lobbying activity of Obama’s reported pick for Attorney General. Holder was also a bundler for Obama during the campaign.
Categories: obama lobbying