The following articles of interest were published elsewhere on the web today:
- How Bill Clinton Doomed the Spotted Owl: a Cautionary Tale for Greens in the Age of Obama
A critical look back for environmentalists at the Clinton administration.
Categories: environment obama billclinton activism
- Iraqi Cabinet Approves Accord Setting US Troop Withdrawal
The Iraqi Cabinet has approved an accord setting a date for the withdrawal of US troops and limiting their conduct inside Iraq.
- Activists Seek Executive Order Banning Torture
Human rights activists are pursuing an executive order banning torture.
Categories: torture humanrights
- Rather’s Lawsuit Shows Role of GOP in Inquiry
An interesting article about an ongoing lawsuit around Dan Rather’s firing from CBS.
Categories: media republicans
- Naomi Klein on the Bailout Profiteers and the Multi-Trillion-Dollar Crime Scene
Another radical critique of the Wall Street bailout…
Categories: wallstreet economics banks government
- Huffington Post Mutes Women’s Voices: New media, same gender imbalance
Despite all the hype about the supposedly more egalitarian “new media,” one of the leading progressive news sources is male dominated.
Categories: media patriarchy internet progressives
- “Secret Muslims,” Open Bigotry: Islamophobia in the 2008 presidential campaign
A look at racism and the 2008 elections.
Categories: islam elections2008 media racism
- Veterans occupy National Archives to demand impeachment — again
A veterans group occupied the National Archives over the weekend to demand impeachment of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.
Categories: veterans impeachment protest
- $2 Trillion Handed out by Paulson and Bernanke, But Who Got It, Nobody Knows
More question’s about the Wall Street bailout…
Categories: economy wallstreet government banks
- Can President Obama Save the Environment?
A new report offers a number of quick and easy executive orders that Obama can make to immediately improve the environment. The question is: will he do it?
Categories: obama environment
- Money Dries Up to Push Women for Obama Cabinet
A prominent group that has for year’s organized to get women appointed by presidents is facing a funding shortage.
Categories: obama women activsm
- YAF Adopts Neo-Nazi Symbol For Blog Banner
The Michigan State University chapter of Young Americans for Freedom has apparently adopted a Nazi symbol in its blog banner. YAF is disputing the charge, but the symbol has a striking resemblance.
Categories: yaf nazis racists michigan msu lansing
- Nevermind the Wildfires! Lets Play with Wet Matches!
President Bush reportedly wants to exchange aid to the domestic auto makers for passage of the NAFTA-style Colombia Free Trade Agreement.
Categories: trade bush colombia globalization
- G-20 communique continues with more of the same
After a much hyped meeting on the financial crisis in DC, Public Citizen analyzes the meeting’s closing communique and finds that it offers more of the same.
Categories: trade globalization g20
- Holding the Obama Administration Accountable: Part 1 of a Series: Why, How, and Enabling the Struggle
A collection of thoughts on why and how to hold the Obama administration accountable. Its the first article in a series that will be published over the next several weeks.
Categories: obama activism progressives left