The following articles of interest were published elsewhere on the web today:
- Election results have Republicans nationwide asking, “Who are we?” And Michigan is no different
Michigan republicans are looking at where they go next after defeats in Michigan and across the country.
Categories: republicans michigan
- Anarchist group disrupts conservative church services in Lansing
An anarchist group known as Bash Back is drawing criticism from all sides over an action that disrupted a church service at Mount Hope Church in Lansing.
Categories: lgbt anarchism lansing michigan religion religiousright
- Green Coal? The Color Money Meets the Color of Deat
Environmental groups have received money to support studies exploring whether or not coal is “green” despite its inherently destructive nature.
Categories: environment energy coal
- Moving Beyond Hope: A Leftist Looks at the Near Future
Ron Jacobs looks at what the left can learn from Obama’s election.
Categories: left obama
- An Interview with Derrick Jensen
Joshua Frank interviews environmental and anti-civilization writer Derrick Jensen about the destruction of the natural world.
Categories: environment civilization
- Rescuing Joe Lieberman: Obama’s First Big Mistake on the Job
David Lindorff asks why Obama is supporting Lieberman…
Categories: lieberman senate democrats obama
- An Obama Litmus Test: Will Labor Have a Seat at the Table?
The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA)–and whether or not it is made a priority–could be an early indicator of how Obama will thank organized labor for their support.
Categories: labor unions obama congress
- Obama and the Left
A thoughtful examination of three different responses to Obama articulated by the left in the United States. It also argues that there is a strong need–in light of recent events–to pressure Obama from the left.
Categories: obama left
- Obama: ‘New Mission in Iraq: Ending the War’
A look at some recent statements and actions by Obama on Iraq.
Categories: obama iraq
- Transcending Race?: Obama’s Victory & the “End” of Racism
An interesting look at how the media frequently talks about Obama’s election as the “end” of racism, despite the persistence of structural racism.
Categories: media racism obama
- Will Democrats Bury Free Trade Deal?
An article looking at the possibilities for the passage of the Colombian Free Trade Agreement.
Categories: democrats trade colombia globalization
- Iraq’s civil resistance to Obama: end the occupation
The Iraq Freedom Congress congratulated Obama for his victory and then called on him to bring an immediate end to the US occupation.
Categories: iraq obama
- Election Results Are Bittersweet for Gays
While a number of folks are trumpeting the new progressive era, the election of Barack Obama was accompanied by the passage of a number of anti-gay ballot initiatives.
Categories: lgbt elections2008
- Pregnancy Resource Centers Try to Scare Students into Keeping the Baby
Across the country, Pregnancy Resource Centers use a variety of scare tactics to convince women not to pursue abortions.
Categories: women reproduction abortion religiousright
- Rahm Emanuel Makes the Right Move on Colombia Trade Deal
The Nation is praising Rahm Emanuel for refusing to take up the Colombia Free Trade Agreement, but it is probably too early to say that this is proof that Emanuel will not let his neoliberal ideology into the White House.
Categories: obama trade globalization elections2008
- U.S. Still Losing a Brigade’s Worth of Vets Every Year to Suicide
Suicides among veterans–including those of Iraq War veterans–continue to rise.
Categories: veterans military suicide
- Piety Or Pocketbook?: Religion, The Economy And Voting In Election 2008
An interesting look at religion and the 2008 elections.
Categories: religion voting elections2008
- Military Rape Victims Must Pay for Forensic Exam Kits
While Sarah Palin’s decision not to pay for rape kits as mayor received a significant amount of attention, the Pentagon’s policies have gone unexamined.
Categories: military rape patriarchy
- Emanuel: Obama won’t link Colombia FTA to stimulus package
Despite his past support for the Colombia FTA, Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is saying that the incoming administration won’t include the trade deal as part of its economic stimulus negotiations.
Categories: obama trade colombia
- REPORT: Joe Lieberman — The Progressive Who Lost His Way
An interesting report on how Joe Lieberman has shifted to the right.
Categories: lieberman democrats senate