A new one-off online publication called “In the Middle of a Whirlwind: 2008 Convention Protests, Movement and Movements” has been released. The publication explores radical anti-authoritarian organizing in the United States across a variety of issues with the immediate focus being the upcoming mobilizations against the Republican National Convention (RNC) and Democratic National Convention (DNC). Through a series of interviews with groups organizing against the conventions and articles by people involved in radical movements across the United States, “In the Middle of a Whirlwind” provides an inspiring look at where we are at, where we have been, and where we need to go.
Here are links to interviews with groups organizing against the conventions:
There are also a number of articles offering examples of solid radical organizing. Some of the ones we particularly really liked were:
Moreover, the publication encourages people to become involved beyond simply reading the interviews and articles asking “will you join us in the middle of a whirlwind?” To that end, they encourage readers to:
* Communicate with the coordinators and contributors.
* Utilize materials contained within Whirlwinds in your own organizing.
* Participate in our discussion forums to critique or dialog around Whirlwinds contributions (forthcoming).
* Host or attend one of the many “Of Friends and Whirlwinds” events.
* Make a contribution toward the effort and sign up on the email list.
* Distribute this announcement and “Will you join us in the middle of a whirlwind?” posters and postcards; available at your local radical infoshop and from Team Colors.
* Create an affinity group to prepare for the upcoming convention protests this summer.
* Inquire into, research, investigate, document, organize around and amplify the winds – refusals, struggles, activities – circulating through your everyday lives and communities.